Enabling the Real Time Sales Demo Source
A demo data source called Real Time Sales (RTS) is included as part of the Zoomdata installation package. This data generator simulates a real-time data stream; allowing users to interact with and explore Zoomdata's capabilities without the need to connect to a data source. However, this demo source, by default, is not available in the Zoomdata Client and must be manually activated. This article walks you through how to enable and disable the demo source.
To enable the Real Time Sales demo source, you will use an automated script that activates the demo source in the Zoomdata Client. This script, labeled
, is included as part of the installation package. However, the script needs to be run from the Linux prompt, so administrative access to your Linux server is necessary.
More specifically, running the automated RTS script will do the following (in the Zoomdata Client):
- Add the RTS connector server details in the Zoomdata Client (using port 8108).
- Define the connection type for the RTS demo source.
- Create the connection and generate the RTS icon in the Data Source page (as shown in Figure 3).
- Create the sample dashboard (that is placed in the Favorites tab).
Set Up the Real Time Sales Demo Source
To set up the RTS demo source, take the following steps:
- Log out of the Zoomdata Client and close the browser window.
- Access the Linux prompt and log into your Zoomdata Server (via Secure Shell or SSH).
- From your Linux prompt, run the RTS script:
Enabling RTS After Upgrading Zoomdata
If you are upgrading your Zoomdata Server to the current release version, that version's RTS demo source is deleted during the process and the current version will be installed. You will need to activate RTS following the same steps outlined above.
Disable the Real Time Sales Demo Data Source
To disable the Real Time Sales demo source, do the following:
- Log in using the Supervisor credential
- Select the ' Connectors ' tab
- Go to the 'Connection Types' section and locate the RTS source under 'Connection Type Name'
- Uncheck the box in the 'Enabled' column (as shown in Figure 4)
Real-time streaming sources including this Real Time Sales demo source (along with Twitter and Kinesis), if left enabled for an extended period of time, may cause 'Out of Memory' errors in Zoomdata. To avoid this problem, disable such sources when not in use.