Configuring a New Connector Manually
Zoomdata is deployed with a number of connector servers 'out of the box' that enable Zoomdata to connect to a variety of different data stores. In addition to the connector servers installed with Zoomdata by default, you can also configure new connector servers. This article walks you through the process to configure a new connector server so that authorized users may connect to that particular type of data store (from the Sources page).
Configuring A New Connector Server
Do the following steps to configure a new connector service in the Zoomdata environment:
- Add a Connector Server: A new connector server may be added via HTTP or Socket protocols.
- Add a Connector: Sets up the connector service so that it is accessible to authorized users via the Data Source page.
STEP 1. Adding a Connector Server Manually
The first step in adding a new connectivity option to your Zoomdata instance is to register a Connector Server. Connector Servers are started and run as separate processes, and accept requests on a specific TCP/IP port.
- To register a Connector Server, log in as a supervisor and click Connectors .
- On the Manage Connector Services page > Connector Servers section, click Add Connector Server .
Register New Connector Server
page, specify the following:
- Connector Server Name: specify a unique name for the new connector server.
- Connector server type: select either HTTP or Socket protocol.
Server URL/Host details: enter the correct parameters for the server:
- For HTTP, you will need to provide the URL ( Figure 2 shows the HTTP options)
- For Socket, enter the host and port details
- Click Register .
Once the connector server is registered, proceed to Step 2 to have this resource display on the Data Source page and be accessible to users.
STEP 2. Adding a Connector
Each Connector Server offers support for a Connector. The second step in configuring a new connectivity option is to add the connector that the Connector Server is supporting.
Perform the following steps:
- In the Connectors section, click Add Connector .
Create New Connector
), specify the following:
- Connector Name: specify the name for the connection type. Recommend a short title due to the limited space used to display the icon and name.
- Connector Description (optional): provide a short description of the connection type.
Enable this Connector: toggle this switch to enable or disable the icon on the Data Source page.
When disabled, existing data sources created using this connection type will remain available (if there are any), but users will not be able to create new ones.
- Connector Server: select the appropriate server from the list.
- Storage Type: this field is automatically set by Zoomdata once you have selected the Connector Server.
- Connector Image: the default image is retrieved from the Connector Server. If you want to change the image, click Choose File to select a custom icon for the connection type. The requirements for the icon are as follows:
- PNG or SVG format
- Resolution (min/max): 72 x 72 px or 160 x 160 px
- Max file size: 50 Kb
- The Connector Parameters section allows you to configure or customize the connection parameters, as needed. These are the fields that appear on the Connection page when a user is configuring a new connector or editing an existing one (as shown in Figure 4). As the supervisor, you have the capability to modify this page's default setup as detailed below. The information is generated from the selected Connector Server.
The following options help you customize the parameters to meet your needs:
- Order: use the arrows to change the order in which the parameters will be listed
- Required: select the checkbox to make the field required for validating the connection
- Visible: use this option to hide or show optional parameters
- User Attribute: use this option to enable or disable User Attribute Passthrough (UAP), which lets you set up user authentication to the data source (if that source is secured)
- Parameter: internal parameter name.
- Parameter Type: select the type of the control and add the options, if required. You can select the following types: text, number, password, checkbox, select, user attribute.
- Label: specify the label for the field.
- Help Text: add the hint for the field. It will be displayed when you hover over the corresponding icon.
- When you have made the required changes, click Register .
- The new connector is displayed in the Connector section of the Manage Connector Services page.