Map: US Regions
The Map: US Regions chart can use up to three attributes ( State Name , County , and ZIP Code ) and one metric.
Your dataset must at least include the 'State' attribute to visualize results:
- The 'State' name must be spelled out with the first letter capitalized. For example, 'California' is the accepted format, not 'CA'.
- This spreadsheet contains the correct format for the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Two additional fields can be used by the US map - County Code and Zip Code .
- County codes are used to light up results at the county level within a State. County codes are 5-digit Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) numbers which uniquely identifies counties in the US. The first two digits are the State code and the last three are the county code within the State.
- Zip codes can also be used to display results at the zip code level.
Zoomdata supports a variety of tile providers which offer an overlay design for the map chart styles available in the program.
These include: OpenStreetMap, CloudMade, and MapBox. OpenStreetMap can be used without an API key. MapQuest, CloudMade, and MapBox require an API key.
CONFIGURING DEFAULT SETTINGS FOR MAP: US REGIONS
- On the Charts page (for your selected data source), under the Standard tab, select Map: US Regions .
To ensure that the map visualizes your dataset, set the
field to the
in your dataset.
Also remember to edit the 'State Limit' field to greater than 50 in order to visualize data from U.S. territories.
Additional options that can be set include:
- The attribute or metric that is used to light up the map along with the colors to be used.
- The limit (or maximum number of data points that is visualized depending on the zoom level; for example, at the highest zoom level where you see the entire continental US, the limit is the number of states that will show results).
- County and/or Zip Code information (if your dataset contains those fields). If you want your charts to be able to zoom in to the level of County and Zip Code, then you must provide this information.
- Select a tile provider. By default, the MapQuest is selected. For MapQuest, MapBox, and CloudMade tile providers, specify the Tile Provider API Key.
- A custom name and description for the map, if desired.
- Click Save .
To view your chart, do the following:
- Click the menu icon.
- Click Data Sources and select the desired data source.
- Select Map: US Regions . The chart is displayed.
You can now explore and interact with your dataset using the zoom function on the map and the left menu options.
ZOOMING IN ON US MAPS
If you have configured your US Regions Map to include County and Zip Codes in your dataset, you can use the Zoom function to display County/Zip Code level results within a State.
To Zoom in to a County or Zip Code, do the following:
- On your US Regions Map chart, click to select a State. From the Radial Menu, click Zoom. The chart zooms in to the level of State Counties.
- On the State, click to select a County within the State. From the Radial Menu, click Zoom. The chart zooms in to the level of Zip Codes within that County.