Version 2.5 Release Notes
Zoomdata is the world’s fastest visual analytics solution for big data. Zoomdata turns big data sets and streams into compelling, interactive, and insightful visualizations. In the v2.5 release, Zoomdata has redesigned the homepage to help you better manage your charts and dashboards. Linking a dashboard now includes the ability for linked charts to inherit parent dashboard filters. The KPI chart style now includes the ability to display two metrics, allowing for insightful comparisons between KPI charts. Raw data can now be viewed in table format. Security features including SAML and LDAP have been enhanced to support user attribute passthrough (UAP), allowing you to pass user privileges between Zoomdata and a secure data source. For data sources with time attributes, time zone information can be added to provide better context for time.
For new features, updates, and visible changes in this release, see below.
The Zoomdata homepage is updated with a new look and feel. The improvements focus on the following:
- Different ways to view dashboards on the homepage: (1) tile view and (2) list view.
- A new left pane menu which provides the following functions: (1) Favorites, (2) My Items, (3) Shared With Me.
- Dashboard information is displayed when hovering over a chart tile.
- Help for users without any connections to data sources or dashboards.
Charts and Dashboards
- There are now separate functions for saving a chart and favoriting a chart. You can save a chart without adding it to your Favorites.
- When linking a dashboard to another chart or dashboard, the linked chart can now inherit the parent dashboard filters. You can also navigate to the linked chart via the radial menu of the dashboard.
- The KPI chart style now includes more functions to explore your data set. Two metrics can be displayed in the chart: Primary and Comparison. The difference between two values can be expressed as an absolute or percentage difference.
The radial menu’s ‘Details’ option has been refactored to present detailed metric/attribute information in a raw data table, which is provided in a separate window that can be moved and resized.
- To explore the raw data using Zoomdata’s tools, you can open this table in Zoomdata’s chart canvas.
- When viewing details from a fused source, you have the option to select the raw data from any of the original datasets used in the fusion.
- You can now specify whether a chart or dashboard with time or date groupings should include all time/date values or only those with data. This allows you to include NULL values in your time and date dashboards to make clear when no data is present.
- Zoomdata connectors now support user attribute passthrough (UAP), helping Zoomdata administrators to provide secure access to specific data tables or data elements within the specific data source.
- Zoomdata’s Impala connector now supports the security option ‘Do As User’, Impala's implementation to support UAP.
- The Zoomdata Oracle connector has been updated to support the new UAP security credential.
The Upload API connector has been updated:
- To streamline how data is uploaded to Zoomdata. You can now define the pattern for your dataset and prepare the curl command for eventual uploading of your dataset.
- To include the Refresh page, allowing you to configure scheduled jobs.
- BigQuery connector now supports date partitioned tables.
- Time zone information is now available for data sources containing time-based attributes with granularities of hours, minutes and seconds. In such cases, you can specify a time zone from the Sources > Fields page. Time zone labels will display your selection in the charts and dashboard canvas.
- Connection support to Twitter and Amazon Kinesis sources has been removed.
SECURITY AND ACCOUNT CONTROLS
- A user interface update was made for the LDAP and SAML security pages to allow for administrators to easily input Custom User Attributes related to User Attribute Passthrough.
- The Chart Studio can now be made accessible to users assigned to a Group. Previously, the Chart Studio was only accessible to administrators, but access privileges have been extended to Groups.
- Zoomdata’s patented Data Sharpening technology has been updated to offer more efficient micro-queries of the data source and returning more comprehensive result sets over time.
- The Supervisor role for the Zoomdata environment has been edited to remove the default Administrator role option. Supervisors can now elect to enable this option to give the Supervisor role dual functionality or leave the Administrator functionality disabled.
Under the hood, Zoomdata has added new public REST APIs. They include:
- Endpoints to manage saved dashboards, favorited assets, user preferences
- Multiple endpoints to manage charts
- Endpoints to manage licensing, timezones, and version information
- White labeling tools and tips are now available to aid Administrators and developers with customizing the Zoomdata interface.
For Your Information
Access the system requirements article for the most current information.
Zoomdata can be installed on-premise or deployed in the Cloud. For on-premise deployments, you can install in CentOS and Ubuntu environments. Please contact Zoomdata Technical Support about obtaining the appropriate Linux package.
If you have a presence in the Cloud, refer to the appropriate Getting Started Guides for guidance on deploying Zoomdata:
- Amazon AWS
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Platform
CONNECTION AND VISUALIZATION RESOURCES
To get a jump start using Zoomdata, refer to the Getting Started reference sheets (for Users and Administrators ). Whether you are a user looking to build an insightful dashboard or an administrator searching for guidance on connecting your data sources, the Zoomdata knowledgebase provides the guidance and instructions to help you in your tasks.