US Region Maps
The US regions map can use up to three attributes (state name, county, and zip code) and one metric. Your data set must at least include the 'State' attribute to visualize results:
- The 'State' name must be spelled out with the first letter capitalized. For example, 'California' is the accepted format, not 'CA'.
- This spreadsheet contains the correct format for the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Zip codes can also be used to display results at the zip code level.
Zoomdata supports a variety of tile providers which offer an overlay design for the map visualization styles available in the program. These include: OpenStreetMap, OpenMapSurfer, MapQuest, CloudMade, and MapBox. MapQuest, CloudMade and MapBox require an API key.
Navigate to the data source of your choice.
Select the Charts tab.
Select the Maps: US Regions chart style.
To ensure that the map visualizes your data set, set the State field to the State column in your data set. Also remember to edit the 'State Limit' field to greater than 50 in order to visualize data from U.S. territories.
You can also configure the following settings:
- The attribute or metric used to light up the map as well as the colors to be used. For metrics, you can define the default aggregation function: SUM, AVG, MAX, MIN. See Available Metric Functions.
- The limit (or maximum number of data points that is visualized depending on the zoom level; for example, at the highest zoom level where you see the entire continental US, the limit is the number of states that will show results). Set the State Limit field to greater than 50 to visualize data for U.S. territories.
- County or zip code information (if your data set contains those fields). If you want your charts to be able to zoom in to the level of County and Zip Code, then you must provide this information.
- Select a tile provider. By default, the MapQuest is selected. For MapQuest, MapBox, and CloudMade tile providers, specify the Tile Provider API Key.
Click Save to make your changes.
If you have configured your US Regions Map to include county and zip codes in your data, you can use the zoom function to display county and zip code level results within a state.
To zoom in to a county or zip code:
- On your US Regions Map chart, click to select a state. From the radial menu, click Zoom. The chart zooms in to the level of state counties.
- On the state, click to select a county within the state. From the radial menu, click Zoom. The chart zooms in to the level of zip codes within that county.
Was this topic helpful?