Sorting and Limiting Chart Data
For most charts, you can sort the data within a chart by the available metrics or attributes. You can also limit the amount of data that is displayed to show a more detailed view of your data.
When sorting your data, the options vary based on whether the chart shows metrics or attributes and the chart style type, as sorting and limiting is not available for all chart styles. The chart styles for which you cannot sort and limit the data are histograms, KPI charts, pivot tables, raw data tables, and maps. Pivot table and raw table data can be sorted, but not in the manner described here. See Pivot Tables and Raw Data Tables (RDT).
Administrators and users with editing rights to data source configurations can also set the default sort order and limits in data source configurations. For additional information, see Managing Data Source Configurations.
For metric-based charts, you can sort in ascending or descending order. For attribute-based charts, you can sort in alphabetical or reverse-alphabetical order. For time attribute-based charts, you can sort in chronological or reverse-chronological order.
To sort or limit your data:
- Click in the upper right corner of the chart to display the chart drop-down menu.
- Select Sort & Limit from the drop-down menu. The Sort & Limit sidebar becomes available.
- Select a category to sort by from the drop-down menu.
- Depending on the type of data elements your chart is based on, different sorting options are displayed. Select a sorting type, for example, Descending or Ascending.
- If you want to limit the amount of data displayed on your chart, enter a number in the Limit field.
- Click Apply to apply the sort and limit options.
Was this topic helpful?